Growth Statistics

This Easter 3438 people will be received into (will join) the Catholic Church in England and Wales. 39% of these people are not baptised, and the remaining 61% have already been baptised in another denomination but are now seeking full communion with the Catholic Church.

The number of Catholics is increasing worldwide, especially in Asia and Africa. In 2008 there were1.166 billion baptised Catholics worldwide, an increase of 19 million (up 1.7%).

Taking into account the increase in the world’s population to 6.7 billion, there is a slight growth in the percentage of Catholics who make up the global population (from 17.33% to 17.40%).

During the past twelve months (Feb. ’09 – Feb. ‘2010) 151,061 people have explored the website of the Catholic Enquiry Office which provides information for those wanting to know more about the Catholic Faith.

Social care provided by charities with a Catholic ethos in England and Wales

Caritas Social Action Network (CSAN) is an agency of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales and the umbrella organisation for organisations and charities with a Catholic ethos providing social care in England and Wales.

The net total expenditure on charitable activities by CSAN’s members in 2008-9 was around £110 million. In the same year, an estimated 130,000 beneficiaries received social care services from CSAN’s members provided to older people, children and families (including adoption and post-adoption services), vulnerable adults (including people with learning or physical disabilities or mental health problems) migrants, refugees and asylum seekers, the homeless and prisoners and their families. The majority received outreach and befriending services but also residential, nursing, respite and day care services and training, education, information and advice on a range of health and social care issues.

Click for more.